About Dr. Lawrence Menendez
Dr. Lawrence R Menendez is a full-time senior member of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Keck Medical Center of USC where he specializes in the management of malignant and benign tumors of bone and soft tissue. He is one of only a handful of orthopaedic oncologists in Southern California who is experienced in performing complicated limb-sparing surgeries and other orthopaedic cancer techniques such as cryosurgery and radiofrequency ablation. Primary musculoskeletal cancers are rare. Dr. Menendez has treated these tumors regularly since 1985 and thus he is highly experienced and qualified to manage patients with these problems. Dr. Menendez uses a coordinated multidisciplinary approach to treatment with his colleagues from medical oncology radiation oncology nuclear medicine radiology surgical pathology occupational and physical therapy and social services and pain management. Over the years he has developed a special interest in the treatment of tumors of the pelvis and sacrum. Dr. Menendez joined the faculty at USC in 1985 after his fellowship. Dr. Menendez has been involved in clinical research for over 27 years and is the author of numerous peer-reviewed research articles book chapters and presentations. He has been invited to speak at universities both in the United States and abroad. Dr. Menendez received his medical degree from New York University School of Medicine where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Honor Society. He completed a fellowship in orthopaedic oncology at the prestigious University of Florida oncology program under the guidance of Dr. William F. Enneking.
- American Republic Insurance Company
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Education and training
- Medical School - New York University, Doctor of Medicine
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital / Columbia University Medical Center, Fellowship in General Surgery
- New York University, Residency in Orthopedic Surgery
- University of Florida, Shands Hospital, Internship in Orthopedic Surgery
- University of Florida, Fellowship in Orthopedic Oncology
Awards and publications
- Giant cell tumor: rapid recurrence after cessation of long-term denosumab therapy Skeletal Radiol. 2015 Jul; 44(7):1027-31.
- Prognostic value of necrosis after neoadjuvant therapy for soft tissue sarcoma J Surg Oncol. 2015 Feb; 111(2):152-7
- Early clinical and radiographic results of minimally invasive anterior approach hip arthroplasty Adv Orthop. 2014; 2014:954208.
Dr. Lawrence Menendez's office location
Keck Medicine of USC - Orthopaedic Surgery
Keck Medicine of USC - Health Sciences Campus
1520 San Pablo St, Ste 2000
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Patient reviews for Dr. Lawrence Menendez
Dr. Menendez is a very competent doctor.
Very professional, satisfied with my care. Staff helpful and courteous.
Everything went swimmingly. Dr. Menendez and the Keck Medical Staff made me feel welcome and safe. I knew I was in good hands.
Very complete - Dr. M was extremely knowledgable and compassionate.
Dr. Menendez appreciated my issues & was very helpful. I'm looking forward to having surgery with him.