Want to know more?About
Data & Privacy
How do we safeguard data?
At Zocdoc, Patients First is our most important core value. It means we’re always working hard to keep your data safe and continually earn your trust. Keeping your information secure is a top priority for us. Here are some of the ways we protect it:
- Privacy and security training: Everyone here who has access to your information receives privacy and security training to ensure that we stay focused on privacy. This includes HIPAA training and regular security training administered by a third party. (HIPAA, or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, establishes national standards for protecting certain identifiable health information of health plan beneficiaries and patients.)
- Strong encryption: We employ industry-leading technology to safeguard data. Our site uses 128-bit GCM encryption – the same standard most banks use to protect your financial information. All Zocdoc data is transferred via HTTPS over TLS, which is a security standard used by the US government for secured traffic (FIPS compliant).
- Secure storage: All data is stored in a physically and electronically secure facility, behind firewalls. Data backups are protected by high-grade encryption (FIPS 140-2 certified), meaning that data stays secure and unreadable. An intrusion detection system monitors our data 24/7 and alerts us to any unusual activity.
- Expert auditing: Zocdoc works with outside experts to keep our security practices and standards high. We hire a third party to periodically test our service and processes, and we run the SSAE-16 Type II and a SOC 2 audit annually.
- Smart features: We build features that protect data on your end, too. For instance, we automatically sign you out of the site if you’re inactive, we set requirements on your password strength, and we lock your account if the wrong password is entered too many times.
What data do we collect?
To book a doctor appointment on Zocdoc, you only need to share basic information, such as your name, email, sex, and date of birth. You also have the option to enter additional information, like your insurance carrier, to help you find just the right healthcare provider and to use other Zocdoc features that may be available to you.
Over the years, patients have asked us to improve more aspects of their healthcare experience, including managing more medical information. In fact, Zocdoc Check-In, an opt-in service which helps you digitally complete your medical paperwork and share it with your healthcare providers, was the most requested feature from patients.
To make sure we’re always improving, we also analyze use of the service such as the time of day you schedule an appointment, the specialties that you book most often, and the type of device you use. This data, like the rest of your information, is stored with security as a top priority.
You may choose to use our service to pay third parties, like your healthcare provider. If you do, we will only store your payment card type and the last four digits of your payment card. Zocdoc never stores your complete credit card number, bank account information, radiological images or reports, laboratory analysis, or diagnostic reports.
How do we use and share data?
We also analyze aggregated or de-identified data (which means it is individually non-identifiable), to better understand different uses of Zocdoc and how we can deliver a better healthcare experience. For example, testing different kinds of emails has helped us understand when and how patients prefer to receive Wellness Reminders for preventive care. We may also use this non-identifiable data in other ways, including for projects that can benefit the world, like studying disease patterns or contributing to public health initiatives.
Like other online businesses, we may use your information to help us or our partners to show ads for our services on other websites or platforms. We never show you ads for third party products, and we never sell your personal information to third parties. In all of these cases, our top concern and highest priority is the security of your data.
Still have questions or comments? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (855) 962-3621.
Where can I learn more?
Acceptable Use Policy: Guidelines for the appropriate use of our basic services
Additional Terms: Details about your use of other Zocdoc products