Dr. Mani Alikhani, DMD, PhD, MS
Dr. Alikhani is an Associate Professor at the Department of Orthodontics at Harvard School of Dental Medicine. He is the founder and Director of the Consortium for Translational Orthodontic Research, a private center dedicated to the advancement of Orthodontics. His research, funded by national and international foundations, focuses on skeletal formation, tooth movement, bone response to mechanical stimulation and "smart" orthodontic appliances. He has developed a method to reduce treatment time by as much as 60% - Micro-Osteoperforations, or MOPS, which introduces tiny holes through the gums into the bone, resulting in increased bone remodeling and accelerated orthodontic tooth movement. This method has been featured on ABC News, various radio shows and published in books and articles. He is regularly invited to teach his methods in Universities throughout the world. Dr. Alikhani specializes in complex orthodontic treatment for teens and adults. His focus is to treat severe jaw and dental deformities in patients who are seeking non-surgical treatment options, using the latest orthodontic tools, such as anchorage devices and micro-osteo perforations. Dr. Alikhani is dedicated to ensuring his patients receive the best treatment possible. He asks all of his patients to keep in touch after treatment, so he can continue observing their health and help them to maintain the benefits they have achieved. Dr. Alikhani strives to accommodate his patients, tailoring their treatment plans to their needs and lifestyle, creating a relationship that is based upon respect and trust. He practices tested orthodontic techniques, and has even developed new ones, to ensure his patients achieve the best results possible, comfortably and efficiently.
Education and training
- Dental School - Tufts University, Doctor of Dental Medicine
- New York University, Certificate in Orthodontics
- Boston University (PhD)
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Association for Dental Research
- International Association for Dental Research
Awards and publications
- Alikhani M, Raptis M, Zoldan B, Sangsuwon C, Lee YB, Alyami B, Corpodian C, Barrera LM, Alansari S, Khoo E, Teixeira C. Effect of micro-osteoperforations on the rate of tooth movement. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 144(5):639-48, 2013.
- Alikhani M, Teixeira CC. Osteogenic Effect of High Frequency Accelerations on Non-Weight bearing bones. Journal of Tissue Science and Engineering. 3:115, 2012.
- Alikhani M, Khoo E, Alyami B, Raptis M, Salgueiro JM, Oliveira SM, Boskey A, Teixeira CC. Osteogenic effect of high-frequency acceleration on alveolar bone. J Dent. Res. 91: 413-419, 2012 (Photo on Journal cover).
- Harvard University, Associate Professor
- Consortium for Translational Orthodontic Research, Director
79 Hudson St, Suite 400
Hoboken, NJ 07030