Dr. Patrick Cunningham, MD
*** This clinic does not accept self-pay patients. *** Dr. Patrick Cunningham is a nephrologist specializing in treatment of glomeronephritis and nephrotic syndrome. These diseases usually involve loss of protein or blood in the urine and are often caused by autoimmune diseases such as lupus, or genetic disorders such as APOL1-associated kidney diseases. In caring for patients with these problems, he performs ultrasound-guided kidney biopsies and manages immunosuppressive medications. His other clinical activities include the care of patients with kidney transplants, and use of bedside renal ultrasound to aid diagnosis of kidney diseases. Dr. Cunningham’s research includes looking at the basic mechanisms of complement regulation in glomerular disease, the role of the immune system in acute kidney injury, and most recently how mutations in the APOL1 gene influence high blood pressure and its treatment. In order to best serve you, please remember to provide your unique member ID number on your insurance card for your appointment. If this is not provided, you may expect a call from our office to get that information prior to your appointment so we can verify your benefits. We look forward to seeing you.
- All Savers Insurance
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Nephrology (Internal Medicine)
Education and training
- Medical School - Tufts University, Doctor of Medicine
- University of Chicago (Internship)
- University of Chicago (Residency)
- University of Chicago (Fellowship)
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Transplantation
- National Kidney Foundation
Awards and publications
- Patient-Reported Barriers to the Prekidney Transplant Evaluation in an At-Risk Population in the United States. Lockwood MB, Saunders MR, Nass R, McGivern CL, Cunningham PN, Chon WJ, Josephson MA, Becker YT, Lee CS.
- Genetic Variants Contributing to Colistin Cytotoxicity: Identification of TGIF1 and HOXD10 Using a Population Genomics Approach. Eadon MT, Hause RJ, Stark AL, Cheng YH, Wheeler HE, Burgess KS, Benson EA, Cunningham PN, Bacallao RL, Dagher PC, Skaar TC, Dolan ME.
- Complement in Lupus Nephritis: New Perspectives. Bao L, Cunningham PN, Quigg RJ.
- TNF causes changes in glomerular endothelial permeability and morphology through a Rho and myosin light chain kinase-dependent mechanism. Xu C, Wu X, Hack BK, Bao L, Cunningham PN.
- Historical comparisons reveal multiple drivers of decadal change of an ecosystem engineer at the range edge. Firth LB, Mieszkowska N, Grant LM, Bush LE, Davies AJ, Frost MT, Moschella PS, Burrows MT, Cunningham PN, Dye SR, Hawkins SJ.
University of Chicago Medicine Hyde Park
UChicago Medicine Hyde Park
5758 South Maryland Avenue, DCAM 5th Floor - Module 5D
Chicago, IL 60637