About Dr. Richard Chang
Dr. Chang is a Fellowship trained, Board certified Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) doctor, who specializes in nonsurgical Sports and Interventional Spine Medicine. A Brooklyn native, Dr. Chang is an alumnus of Brooklyn College's BA/MD and Macaulay Honors College programs, majoring in Sociology with honors and a Phi Beta Kappa member. His physiatry residency was completed at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital, where he had the honor of serving as Chief Resident in his last year. Prior to this, he completed his preliminary internal medicine year at Maimonides Medical Center. Dr. Chang went on to complete his fellowship training in Interventional Spine and Sports Medicine at the Hospital for Special Surgery. During his fellowship year, he served as team physician to St. John's and St. Peter's Universities, specialzing in basketball, soccer, lacrosse, and fencing injuries. Before returning to Mount Sinai, from 2015 to September 2017, he served as faculty of the Sports Division of the department of Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation Medicine. He was also an Assistant Professor and helped establish and co-found the department’s first accredited non-surgical Sports fellowship program in the Physiatry division at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, serving as its Associate Fellowship director, and was team physician of several of Brooklyn’s PSAL (Public School Athletic League) high schools and NCAA Division III college, SUNY Maritime. He continues to provide coverage as tent medical captain of the NYC Marathon and inter-borough half-marathons and as ringside physician to USA Boxing Metro, World Kickboxing Association, and the Daily News Golden Gloves boxing tournament.
- Aetna Better Health
- Sports Medicine Specialist
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Education and training
- Medical School - State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Doctor of Medicine
- State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Master's in Public Health
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Hospital for Special Surgery, Fellowship in Interventional Spine and Sports Medicine
- City University of New York, Brooklyn College (Bachelor's)
- Maimonides Medical Center, Internship in Internal Medicine
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
Awards and publications
- Chief Resident at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital
- 2014 Richard S. Materson ERF New Investigator Award Co-recipient (Co-Investigator): “The efficacy of ultrasound guided glenohumeral joint injections of platelet rich plasma (PRP) versus hyaluronic acid (HA) in the treatment of glenohumeral osteoarthritis: a randomized, double blind trial.” Principal investigator: Jonathan S. Kirschner, MD, RMSK.
- 2016 Richard S. Materson ERF New Investigator Award Recipient (Principal Investigator): “Ultrasound guided intra-articular leukocyte reduced platelet rich plasma (PRP), hyaluronic acid (HA), or corticosteroid injections for chronic, unilateral mild to moderate knee osteoarthritis: a double-blind, randomized, controlled relative efficacy preliminary study.”
- Chinese (Mandarin)
Dr. Richard Chang's office location
Mount Sinai Beth Israel Orthopedic Surgery
Mount Sinai Brooklyn Heights
300 Cadman Plaza W, 18th floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Patient reviews for Dr. Richard Chang
He is a terrific doctor!
Dr. Chang was great, highly recommended. He was very courteous, thorough in his evaluation, and spent time explaining next steps.
Very thorough and professional!
Great doctor! Very efficient and professional. Highly recommend.
Dr. Chang is professional, thorough and quick (but not trying to push you out the door).
Excellent physician, highly recommended.
Dr. Chang is truly wonderful. He spent more than 60 min assessing, diagnosing, going through all my questions and the follow up plan. He was very considerate with my issues and had clear next steps for us.
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Orthopedic Follow Up
- Amputation Prevention
- Amputation Rehabilitation
- Ankle Problems
- Arm Pain
- Back Injection
- Back Pain
- Back Problems
- Bulging / Protruding Disc
- Cerebral Palsy / Other Motor Disabilities
- Cervical Myelopathy
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Chronic Pain
- Compression Fracture
- More Procedures
- Aetna Physiatrists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Physiatrists
- Cigna Physiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Physiatrists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Physiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Physiatrists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Physiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Physiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Physiatrists
- More Insurances