Dr. Desiderio Avila Jr., MD
Urological Surgeon, Urologist
Dr. Desiderio Avila Jr. is a urologist treating patients in Scottsdale, Arizona, and the surrounding communities. His approach is centered on providing personalized, comprehensive care to each of his patients. He holds certification from the American Board of Urology and is a member of the American Urological Association. Dr. Avila is also bilingual, speaking both English and Spanish. For his undergraduate degree, Dr. Avila attended Princeton University. He pursued his medical degree at the University Of Chicago Pritzker School Of Medicine, finishing in the top of his class. Dr. Avila received residency training in general surgery and urology at Baylor College of Medicine. He then completed a prestigious fellowship in reproductive medicine, microsurgery, and fertility at the Baylor Clinic in Houston, receiving numerous research awards and becoming a leader in his field. Patients visiting Dr. Avila can receive a full range of urological and reproductive services. His areas of specialization include male and female infertility, vasectomy, microsurgical variocele repair, and sperm harvesting techniques. Treatment is also available for issues including kidney stones, incontinence, frequent urination, bladder cancer, and urinary tract infection. When he is not treating patients, Dr. Avila enjoys swimming, cycling, running, and spending time outdoors with his wife and two children.
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Urological Surgeon
- Chandler Regional Hospital
- Scottsdale Healthcare Shea
- Saint Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
- Mercy Gilbert Medical Center
- Scottsdale Healthcare Thompson Peak
- American Board of Urology
Education and training
- Medical School - University of Chicago, Doctor of Medicine
- Princeton University (Bachelor’s)
- Baylor College of Medicine, Fellowship in Male Reproductive Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine, Residency in Urology
- Baylor College of Medicine, Internship in General Surgery
- American Urological Association
Awards and publications
- Avila D, Gittens PG, Khera M, Lipshultz LI; Intralesional Verapamil Injection Combined with Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors Improves Results in the Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease. Abstract for AUA meeting 2010, San Francisco, CA.
- Sweeney M, Bennett R, Avila D, Khera M, Morgentaler A; PSA and Follow-up Biopsy Results in Men Who Received Testosterone Therapy While on Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer. Abstract for AUA meeting 2010, San Francisco, CA.
- Weedin J, Avila D, Link RE; The Impact of Proximal Stone Burden on the Treatment of Forgotten, Encrusted, and Calcified Ureteral Stents. Abstract for AUA meeting 2010, San Francisco, CA.
4633 East Chandler Blvd, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85048
15920 South 48th Street, Suite #100
Phoenix, AZ 85048
690 East Warner Rd, Bldg 5
Gilbert, AZ 85296
1637 East Monument Plaza Circle, #1
Casa Grande, AZ 85122