Dr. Juan Carlos Paredes, MD
Geriatric Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
"Since I graduated as a Psychiatrist, my passion has been to translate my knowledge in Neuroscience into Emotional Balance, Good Health, Peace and Harmony and Total Well-Being for myself, my patients and my community" Dr. Juan Carlos Paredes has been practicing psychiatry and behavioral medicine for more than 20 years at Mount Sinai Medical Center, in Miami Beach, Florida. Dr. Paredes did his residency in Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh, a top ranking program in the nation.He continued his training with a fellowship in geriatric psychiatry at the University of Miami. He was certified by the American Board of Psychiatry in 1997 and by the American Board of Geriatric Psychiatry in 2000. Dr Paredes specializes in the fields of Psychopharmacology, Neuropsychiatry, Memory and Sleep Disorders,Stress Management,Anxiety and Depression,Smoking Cessation, Sexual Medicine for Men and Healthy Aging. He is an expert on ECT, an effective therapy for severe, treatment resistant depression. Dr Paredes created a unique therapeutic program on Emotional Balance and Total Well-Being with a very specific, easy to follow, individualized approach which adjusts to each patient uniqueness. Dr Paredes takes a comprehensive/integrative medical approach to evaluate each patient and provides the best individualized treatment. His goal is to empower his patients to achieve emotional balance, adopt healthier habits and obtain a sustainable, clinical response with a very rationale use of psychiatric medications when needed. "I consider that Emotional Balance reflects perfect synchronicity between mind, body and spirit; this is the basis for Total Well-Being. I help my patients embrace this path"
- Geriatric Psychiatrist
- Mount Sinai Medical Center
Education and training
- Medical School - Universidad del Valle Escuela de Medicina, Cali
- University of Miami, Fellowship in Geriatric Psychiatry
- University of Pittsburgh, Internship in Psychiatry
- University of Pittsburgh, Residency in Psychiatry
- International Psychogeriatric Association
- International Society for Sexual Medicine
- International Society for the Studies of the Aging Male
Awards and publications
- 1995 Comparative affinities of the serotonin transporters in platelets of depressed patients vs. health controls by selective binding of [3H] Citalopram. Poster presented at ACNP Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, December 1995.
- 1996 ± Citalopram: Pharmacokinetic / Dynamic aspects of its enantiomers. (Two part study) Principal Investigator.
Adult & Geriatric Psychiatry at South Beach Clinic
4308 Alton Raod, Suite 420
Miami Beach, FL 33140