About Dr. Julio Mocellin Bernardi
I treat psychiatric and psychologic issues in clients 15 years old and above. I have experience with a broad range of conditions: * mood and anxiety disorders * ADHD * schizophrenia * addiction * relationship issues * work-related issues I was born and raised in Brazil, where I started my medical training at the age of 17 years old, which is not very common there. That was the first time I truly went to war to achieve something, and as a result I scored #2 out of 30,000 people on the entrance exam. Now I'm bringing that same energy to create one of the best private mental health practices in Chicago. I was always fascinated with how drugs affected the mind, since the beginning of my training. When I got to my med school psychiatry rotation and saw how skillful my teachers were in talking with patients and helping them using the spoken word, I was hooked and chose to become a psychiatrist. I decided early on to pursue further training in the United States. I like America quite a lot. I completed a residency in general psychiatry at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, affiliated with Washington University in Saint Louis. I am also certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. After residency I wanted to become a physician-scientist and research the pathways in the brain that lead to drug addiction. I did that for 3 years, and discovered some new areas in the brains of mice that might be important in the development of opioid addiction. I eventually decided that I would be happier as a private practice psychiatrist, and these days I pursue science/engineering topics on my own in my free time.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Psychiatry (Psychiatry and Neurology)
Education and training
- Medical School - Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS) Faculdade de Medicina
- Washington University, St. Louis, Residency in Adult Psychiatry
Awards and publications
- American Medical Association Physician Recognition Award, 2015
- Al-Hasani R, McCall JG, Shin G, Gomez AM, Schmitz GP, Bernardi JM, Pyo C, Park S, Marcinkiewcz CM, Crowley NA, Krashes MJ, Lowell BB, Kash TL, Rogers JA2,4, Bruchas MR. Distinct subpopulations of nucleus accumbens dynorphin neurons drive aversion or reward. Neuron. 2015 Sep 2; 87(5): 1063–1077
- Bernardi JM. Optogenetic applications in psychiatric research. American Journal of Psychiatry Resident Journal Aug 201
- Zeni CP, Tramontina S, Zeni TA, Coelho R, Pheula G, Bernardi JM, Maldaner U, Silva TL, Salatino-Oliveira A, Hutz M, Rohde LA. The Val66Met polymorphism at the BDNF gene does not influence Wisconsin Card Sorting Test results in children and adolescents with bipolar disorder. Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 2013 Mar;35(1):44-50
Dr. Julio Mocellin Bernardi's office location
Applied Science Psychiatry
541 North Fairbanks Court, Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60611
Patient reviews for Dr. Julio Mocellin Bernardi
Dr. Bernardi is a careful listener, extremely knowledgeable and was very good in involving my input in all aspects of his treatment approach which made me feel extremely comfortable. I left his office wishing I had seeked treatment from him years ago.
Doctor Bernardi is a great doctor! I had my follow up appointment with him today and it was just as great as the initial visit. In between appointments I was able to talk with him via text message and he was able to send in my prescriptions to the pharmacy because i was in need of refills before our next appointment. All in all great doctor, great guy, and super easy to get ahold of and work with! In my opinion best psychiatrist in Chicago!
Knowledgeable, pragmatic, and considerate. Highly recommend.
He is amazing. Kind, understanding and most important - effective.
Doctor Bernardi is hands down the best psychiatrist I have seen. When I arrived at his office I checked in and he came out to get me at the exact time my appointment was supposed to start. He made me feel extremely comfortable while we were in session. He was very knowledgeable about the conditions I came to address and the medications I take for them. He explained that one of the medications I have been taking for years is meant for short term use only and taking it long term could cause serious health problems down the road which I was extremely grateful for him pointing out. When coming up with a treatment plan he made me feel very involved and actually cared to ask what my thoughts were. He gave me options unlike most other doctors I have seen in the past. He is very easy to talk to and a very down to earth guy. He makes everything as easy and convenient as possible. If you are looking for a great psychiatrist doctor Bernardi is the guy you are looking for. My experience with him was stellar from start to finish I can’t say enough good things about him!
Dr. Bernardi truly cares about his patients! He has helped me a lot and I’m so glad I found such a great doc.
Dr , Julio was great very friendly and helped me a lot he has the best analogy on new treatment for depression and etc I high recommend him !
Dr. Bernardi has a friendly demeanor and is willing to go above and beyond to help.
Very personable and knowledgeable. Highly recommend.
I had an excellent appointment with Julio Mocellin Bernardi. The appointment ran smoothly, and started right on time. Julio was an active listener throughout my session, and worked to form an individualized treatment plan. Dr. Bernardi took into account my personal circumstances and accommodated my needs as a patient at all levels, and for that, I'd highly highly recommend him to any Zocdoc viewers!
Dr. Júlio was very attentive, much more thorough and insightful than more psychiatrist are trained to be. Very thankful I found him and would recommend to anyone looking for a doctor.
I think the visit great . Dr. Mocellin asked a little questions that I never thought about asking. He took his time and was very professional and welcoming.
Dr . Mark is was great , totally recommend! Found my peace!
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Psychiatry Consultation
- Psychiatry Follow Up
- Addiction Consultation
- Addiction Follow Up
- Addiction / Substance Abuse
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Analytical Therapy / Psychoanalysis
- Anger Management
- Art Therapy
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Behavioral Therapy
- Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Therapy
- More Procedures
- Aetna Psychiatrists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- Cigna Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Psychiatrists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Psychiatrists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Psychiatrists
- More Insurances