About Dr. Timothy Chang
Timothy W. Chang, MD is a board-certified dermatologist and fellowship-trained Mohs surgeon. He is one of a select few in the country who specializes in treating melanoma with Mohs surgery. Dr. Chang is an expert in skin cancer treatment, reconstructive surgery, as well as medical and cosmetic dermatology. Dr. Chang completed his fellowship at the prestigious Mohs Micrographic Surgery & Dermatologic Oncology program at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). There he was trained by world renowned Mohs, Facial Plastic, Oculoplastic, and Plastic Surgeons. In addition to treating skin cancer, Dr. Chang received extensive training in laser surgery and cosmetic dermatology. Dr. Chang also brings his expertise in general dermatology having completed dermatology residency at the distinguished Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. He completed his internship at Harvard Medical School’s rigorous Internal Medicine residency at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Chang received his medical degree from the Medical College of Wisconsin and undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University. Dr. Chang is a Southern California native and enjoys volunteering. He enjoys lecturing on skin cancer prevention and performing free skin cancer screenings throughout San Diego. He has performed humanitarian medical work treating rare and tropical dermatologic diseases in Tanzania, Africa. Dr. Chang is also a volunteer dermatology faculty at UCSD and VA hospitals treating skin cancer and educating residents. Dr. Chang’s interests include mountain climbing. Notable summits he has completed are Mt. Kilimanjaro, tallest free standing mountain in the world, and Mt. Whitney, tallest mountain in the continuous United States. He is an Eagle Scout as well as a Black Belt in TaeKwonDo.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- American Board of Dermatology
Education and training
- Medical School - Medical College of Wisconsin, Doctor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Residency in Dermatology
- University of California, San Francisco, Fellowship in Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Residency in Internal Medicine
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American College of Mohs Surgery
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
Awards and publications
- Miller J., Chang T.W., Schwartz D., Peters M., Baum C. Outcomes of adjuvant radiotherapy following negative surgical margins for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Dermatol Surg. Epub ahead of print.
- Yuan J.T., Chang T.W., Yu S.S., Arron S.T. Mental artery occlusion from poly-L- lactic acid injection at the lateral chin. Dermatol Surg. 2017 Nov;43(11):1402-1405.
- Chang T.W., Weaver A.L., Brewer J.D., Kyle R.A., Baum C.L. Risk of melanoma in patients with multiple myeloma: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results population-based study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Mar;78(3):621-623. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2017.10.014. Epub 2017 Oct 16.
Dr. Timothy Chang's office location
Coastal Medical and Cosmetic Dermatology
9850 Genesee Ave, Suite 850
La Jolla, CA 92037
Patient reviews for Dr. Timothy Chang
Very professional. Knowledgeable and explained in easy to understand. He gave a me a warm feeling that I was in good hands.
Very knowledgeable and caring. Returned my call on a Saturday immediately.
My second visit was exactly like the first one . Dr. Chang is professional, informative and takes his time to answer questions.
Everything about this visit was of the highest standard. Dr Chang clearly cares about his patients and provides info and options to help make decisions easier. He takes the time to explain everything clearly. His staff is very friendly and professional as well!
He’s an extremely nice person. Highly knowledgeable. Excellent bedside manner. Great experience
Couldn't be more pleased. Dr. Chang and entire staff were outstanding. Very organized, extremely efficient, and I would very highly recommend Dr. Chang.
Second appointment. I could not have asked for a better experience. Kind, reassuring, and he always answered my questions in a professional and never condescending way.
Nice manner. Explained everything clearly. Not condescending. Put me at ease right away.
Dr. Chang was great. He was very informative with everything I wanted and needed to know. The receptionist and assistants were all so very hopeful. I look forward to my next appointment.
Incredibly quick visit. Saw me earlier than my appointment. One of the cleanest facilities I've ever been in.
Dr. Chang made it a World Class experience.
Dr Chang was very friendly, professional and knowledgeable. I came in with a serious skin problem and he was very reassuring and made sure I had what I needed to solve my problem. Would definitley recommend.
This was a first visit. Very impressed with his professional friendly attitude. I felt very relaxed and confident in him.
Dr Chang was very knowledgeable and personable. He took me right when I walked in the door and I was 15 minutes early. It was an excellent experience.
I think he is so professional and caring he answered all my concerns and was very knowledgeable I highly recommend him.)
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Dermatology Consultation
- Dermatology Follow Up
- Age Spots
- Annual Skin Screening
- Anti-Aging Treatment
- Body Sculpting Consultation
- Botox Treatment
- Brown / Dark Spots
- Dermaplanning / Dermaplane Treatment
- Dermatology Surgery
- Discoid Lupus
- More Procedures
- Aetna Dermatologists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Dermatologists
- Cigna Dermatologists
- UnitedHealthcare Dermatologists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Dermatologists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Dermatologists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Dermatologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Dermatologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Dermatologists
- More Insurances