About Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Michael Blumenfield, M.D. relocated his practice in 2009 to Woodland Hills, California from New York where had had been the Sidney E. Frank Professor of Psychiatry at New York Medical College in Valhalla, a suburb of New York City. He also had a private practice in Valhalla and Scarsdale, New York. Dr. Blumenfield has written numerous professional publications including authoring and/or editing 5 five books. He has been Speaker of the Assembly of the American Psychiatric Association. In addition he has written a syndicated newspaper column for Gannett Newspapers, had a local radio program and an Internet Podcast all dedicated to educating the public about mental illness and psychiatry. He currently writes a blog titled PsychiatryTalk.com He does clinical consultations, psychotherapy and psychopharmacology with adults. Dr. Blumenfield utilizes psychodynamic , cognitive and supportive therapy as well as medication when indicated. While he usually sees patients individually, he will also work with couples. In addition, Dr. Blumenfield has experience doing special forensic and business consultations including work with the entertainment and news media.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Psychosomatic Medicine (Psychiatry and Neurology)
Education and training
- Medical School - State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center
- San Francisco General Hospital (Internship)
- State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Kings County Hospital Center, Residency in Psychiatry
- State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Kings County Hospital Center, Fellowship in Psychosomatic Medicine
- American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
- Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine
- American College of Psychiatrists
- American Medical Association
Awards and publications
- 36 papers, 15 Book Chapters www.aol.com
- Edited book–Applied Supervision in Psychotherapy(87)
- Authored books – Psychological Care of Burn and Trauma Patient (93),
Dr. Michael Blumenfield's office location
Michael Blumenfield, M.D.
5901 Nita Ave
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Patient reviews for Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Very friendly and caring about my situation I already made another appt with him!
Wonderful, straightforward, helpful.
It was excellent. Dr blumenfielf really listened to me and I would recommend him to anyone that needs help
Dr. Blumenfield was extremely helpful, clear and communicative and transparent in his methods. I really liked the options he gave me for treatment and could tell he had my best interests at heart.
Did not take my previous medications for granted, instead looked at them with a critical eye to assist me in finding the best combination for me
Very professional and easy going. Felt very comfortable with him after a few minutes.
Great. I highly recommend
Great doctor and a great human being. An absolute encyclopedia of knowledge on the science of the brain.
It was great. He listened to me and seemed very interested in me
Made appointment for my daughter, He opened up another time period for us at 8Am on a Saturday because the time slot we requested was taken, pretty much straight forward, took the time to explain and listen to concerns and made us both feel at ease with his prognosis! He has a very nice home office, and you can tell that he is a Dr with much experience that cares about the progression of his patients!!! I will update this review as time moves on!!
Dr. Blumenfield surpassed my expectations!!!
I really liked Dr. Blumenfield. I feel hopeful for the first time in a very long time. He relates well and really listens while offering suggestions for treatment no other doctor has ever mentioned previously. I look forward to my next appointment.
I was very impressed by Dr. Blumenfeld. He was very thorough in assessing me and extremely knowledgeable about the medications used to treat people with my conditions. He seemed to genuinely listen to me, asked tons of questions about my background, and overall I left with the sense that he has my best interests at heart. He is not one of those psychiatrists who spends 5 minutes with you before handing you your prescriptions and sending you on your way. I only went to him for medications, but he also does talk therapy too if desired. Overall, I was very impressed and will definitely return! A good doctor is worth every penny.
The visit was odd. I was extremely uncomfortable with the fact that he works out of his home. He seemed offended that I asked the reason for this. The visit was ok but I will not be going back.
Very professional and thorough.
My first impression was good. I will update, with a more helpful assessment, once I have seen him a few times.
Worth every penny
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Psychiatry Consultation
- Psychiatry Follow Up
- Addiction Consultation
- Addiction Follow Up
- Addiction / Substance Abuse
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Analytical Therapy / Psychoanalysis
- Anger Management
- Art Therapy
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Behavioral Therapy
- Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Therapy
- More Procedures
- Aetna Psychiatrists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- Cigna Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Psychiatrists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Psychiatrists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Psychiatrists
- More Insurances