About Dr. Caroline Hwang
Dr. Caroline Hwang is a gastoenterologist with specialized training in inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). Having trained at the IBD Center at University of California at San Francisco (UCSF) under the direction of national experts Uma Mahadevan and Fernando Velayos, Dr. Hwang has extensive background in caring for patients with complex, steroid-dependent or steroid-refractory disease, as well as working with IBD patients with pregnancy and fertility concerns. In addition to upper endoscopy and colonoscopy, she is experienced in performing endoscopy in patients with ileoanal pouches as well as chromoendoscopy for colon cancer screening/resection of colitis-associated dysplasia. Dr. Hwang's research interests include developing innovative nutritional interventions for the complications of IBD and identifying environmental triggers for this disease. She has received several awards and research grants from IBD and cancer prevention organizations (Inflammatory Bowel Disease Working Group, PanCAN). She has also authored several articles in peer-reviewed journals about micronutrient deficiencies as well as pregnancy issues in IBD. She serves as a peer reviewer for the Inflammatory Bowel Disease journal, published by the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA).
- American Republic Insurance Company
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Keck Hospital of USC
- USC Norris Cancer Hospital
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Gastroenterology (Internal Medicine)
Education and training
- Medical School - University of California, Los Angeles, Doctor of Medicine
- Columbia University, Internship in Internal Medicine
- University of California, San Francisco, Fellowship in Gastroenterology
Awards and publications
- Knowledge, Attitudes, and Beliefs Regarding the Role of Nutrition in IBD Among Patients and Providers Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2016 10; 22(10):2474-81.
- Absence of pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia predicts poor survival after resection of pancreatic cancer Pancreas. 2014 Oct; 43(7):1073-7.
- Popular exclusionary diets for inflammatory bowel disease: the search for a dietary culprit Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2014 Apr; 20(4):732-41.
Dr. Caroline Hwang's office location
Keck Medicine of USC - Medicine
Keck Medicine of USC - Health Sciences Campus
1450 San Pablo St, HC4 - 6200
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Patient reviews for Dr. Caroline Hwang
Helpful, professional, and reassuring.
Was very helpful and informative. Everyone was very nice and I can't wait for my next visit.
Great! Quick and helpful.
The doctor and the nurse is so kind.
Fabulous. I got ANSWERS which is what I was looking for and needed actionable.
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Gastroenterology Consultation
- Gastroenterology Follow Up
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux / Heartburn
- Biliary Tract Problem
- Black Stool / Melena
- Blood in Stool
- Celiac Disease
- Colon Cancer Screening
- Colonoscopy Consultation
- Crohn's Disease
- Digestive Problem
- Food Intolerance
- More Procedures
- Aetna Gastroenterologists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Gastroenterologists
- Cigna Gastroenterologists
- UnitedHealthcare Gastroenterologists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Gastroenterologists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Gastroenterologists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Gastroenterologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Gastroenterologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Gastroenterologists
- More Insurances