About Dr. Gordon Globus
SETTING AND EXPERIENCE: I have maintained a half-time private practice of psychiatry in Newport Beach since 1992, after retiring from the UC Irvine Med School. Insurance issues: If you have an HMO, I am not covered; if a PPO I am covered but not a preferred provider. I have a broad experience in psychiatry and while at UCI was variously in charge of outpatient psychiatry, an inpatient program, and psychiatric consultation at UCI Med Center. SCOPE OF PRACTICE: I provide consultation and treatment for a wide range of psychiatric problems. I do not hesitate to refer if I think that another mental health professional has more relevant expertise. I do not typically work with patients under 18 or over 80 years or with dementia, but refer them to specialists in child, adolescent or geriatric psychiatry. STYLE OF PRACTICE: I am a traditional clinician. I do not rely on testing and questionaires but simply talk with a person and try to understand their problems in a collaborative way. The initial consultation lasts around 45 minutes, at which time I will make a provisional diagnosis, formulate, explain and implement a treatment plan. I enjoy the practice of psychiatry. I try to use low doses of medication in order to avoid side-effects. I will followup by phone or email, if needed, over the first week or two, and consider it part of the initial consultation. Since I maintain only a half-time practice, I usually am able to respond fairly quickly to calls, emails, prescription refills and the like. I have no staff, so there is no one that you have to go through to reach.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Psychiatry (Psychiatry and Neurology)
Education and training
- Medical School - Tufts University, Doctor of Medicine
- Boston University Medical Center, Residency in Psychiatry
- Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Internship in Psychiatry
Awards and publications
- Distinguished Life Fellow, American Psychiatric Association.
- 4 books and over 100 publications in psychiatry, philosophy and brain science.
- University of California, Irvine, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry and Philosophy.
Dr. Gordon Globus's office location
360 San Miguel Drive, Suite 503
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Patient reviews for Dr. Gordon Globus
Great, can highly recommend him
Dr. Globus has been professional and always helpful during our sessions. I have been through some very difficult circumstances over the past year, and he has continued to be my trusted provider, understanding and caring about the issues I was going through. He also helped me with SDI paperwork that I needed during this delicate time to help me avoid financial hardship. I am grateful for the service he has provided to me and continues to!
Dr. Globus has been my doctor for years and has been extremely flexible through many tough times (financially and otherwise). I highly recommend him.
It was refreshing to have an appointment with a doctor that looks you in the eyes, listens, and does not rush you out. Dr. Globus was able to make some small changes to my meds with positive impact.
Dr. Globus has always been extremely professional and helpful alway willing to go above and beyond for his patients. I would recommend Dr. Globb's to anyone looking for a knowledgeable and direct Dr. for psychatry.
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Psychiatry Consultation
- Psychiatry Follow Up
- Addiction Consultation
- Addiction Follow Up
- Addiction / Substance Abuse
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Analytical Therapy / Psychoanalysis
- Anger Management
- Art Therapy
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Behavioral Therapy
- Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Therapy
- More Procedures
- Aetna Psychiatrists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- Cigna Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Psychiatrists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Psychiatrists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Psychiatrists
- More Insurances