Dr. Gordon Globus, MD
Newport Beach, CA
About Dr. Gordon Globus
SETTING AND EXPERIENCE: I have maintained a half-time private practice of psychiatry in Newport Beach since 1992, after retiring from the UC Irvine Med School. Insurance issues: If you have an HMO, I am not covered; if a PPO I am covered but not a preferred provider. I have a broad experience in psychiatry and while at UCI was variously in charge of outpatient psychiatry, an inpatient program, and psychiatric consultation at UCI Med Center. SCOPE OF PRACTICE: I provide consultation and treatment for a wide range of psychiatric problems. I do not hesitate to refer if I think that another mental health professional has more relevant expertise. I do not typically work with patients under 18 or over 80 years or with dementia, but refer them to specialists in child, adolescent or geriatric psychiatry. STYLE OF PRACTICE: I am a traditional clinician. I do not rely on testing and questionaires but simply talk with a person and try to understand their problems in a collaborative way. The initial consultation lasts around 45 minutes, at which time I will make a provisional diagnosis, formulate, explain and implement a treatment plan. I enjoy the practice of psychiatry. I try to use low doses of medication in order to avoid side-effects. I will followup by phone or email, if needed, over the first week or two, and consider it part of the initial consultation. Since I maintain only a half-time practice, I usually am able to respond fairly quickly to calls, emails, prescription refills and the like. I have no staff, so there is no one that you have to go through to reach.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Psychiatry (Psychiatry and Neurology)
Education and training
- Medical School - Tufts University, Doctor of Medicine
- Boston University Medical Center, Residency in Psychiatry
- Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Internship in Psychiatry
Awards and publications
- Distinguished Life Fellow, American Psychiatric Association.
- 4 books and over 100 publications in psychiatry, philosophy and brain science.
- University of California, Irvine, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry and Philosophy.
Dr. Gordon Globus's office location
360 San Miguel Drive, Suite 503
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Patient reviews for Dr. Gordon Globus
Psychiatrists by Location
Popular Insurances Accepted By Psychiatrists
- Aetna Psychiatrists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- Cigna Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Psychiatrists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Psychiatrists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Psychiatrists
- More Insurances