Dr. Omar Akhtar, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon, Reconstructive Surgeon
www.capcityortho.com Omar Akhtar MD joined Capital City Orthopaedics in 2013 after practicing in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. He has two engineering degrees and worked as an electrical engineer prior to beginning his medical career. Dr Akhtar obtained his MD from New Jersey Medical School in 2003 and completed the orthopedic surgery residency at Michigan State University. He then pursued further specialty training in total joint replacement and completed the adult reconstruction fellowship at The University of Pennsylvania. Dr Akhtar treats all general orthopedic conditions- fractures, sprains, injuries, joint pain- and has performed thousands of operations. His expertise is in joint replacement of the hip, knee, and shoulder. He performs partial and total knee replacements; partial and total hip replacement; partial, total, and reverse shoulder replacements; and complex revision surgery for problematic or failed joint replacements. He performs the Direct Anterior hip replacement which may lead to shorter recovery times in selected patients. In some patients, he opts to use computer navigated assistance which may lead to improved implant positioning. Not everyone needs or will benefit from surgical treatment. Dr Akhtar starts with non-surgical treatments and, in many cases, an operation can be avoided. Dr Akhtar lives in Austin with his wife and daughter. In his free time, he enjoys photography, strength training, and playing golf.
Is this doctor in your insurance network?
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Reconstructive Surgeon
- Saint David's North Austin Medical Center
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Education and training
- Medical School - Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- Michigan State University Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, Residency in Orthopedic Surgery
- University of Pennsylvania, Fellowship in Adult Reconstruction Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
Awards and publications
- Akhtar OH, Rowe DE: Syringomyelia-associated scoliosis with and without the Chiari I malformation. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2008; 16(7):407-17.
- Chief Resident at Michigan State University Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies
Capital City Orthopaedics
12201 Renfert Way, Suite 370
Austin, TX 78758