Dr. Sait Ashina, MD
Dr. Ashina practices at two offices (see separate ZocDoc profile for the office at 309 West 23rd Street New York, NY 10011). Dr. Ashina specializes in the treatment of headache conditions, including migraine and cluster headache. His headache treatment approach combines drug therapy, interventional treatments such as nerve blocks, Botulinum toxin injections, trigger point injections, and inpatient and outpatient infusion therapy. Dr. Ashina is a Neurologist and a Headache Specialist. He is a Director of the Headache Program, which is a joint activity of Department of Pain Medicine/Palliative Care, and the Department of Neurology. Dr. Ashina earned his medical degree at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark. He completed medical internship at the Hospital of Saint Raphael affiliated with Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT. He did his residency in neurology at the Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY. He received training in Headache medicine at the Montefiore Headache Center in Bronx, NY and the Danish Headache Center, Copenhagen, Denmark. Dr. Ashina is a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and a Diplomate in Headache Medicine through the United Council for Neurological Subspecialties. He is a member of education committee of International Headache Society. Dr. Ashina also served as a member of the International Headache Society headache classification subcommittee for the 3rd edition of the International Classification of Headache Disorders . He is also an Associate editor of Neurology Reviews, and Visiting Editor of the Journal of Headache and Pain. He has won several awards for his work, including the Clinical Headache Fellowship Award from the American Headache Society. He is a recipient of prestigious 2012 Enrico Greppi Award endorsed by the European Headache Federation and the Italian Society for the Study of Headaches. Dr. Ashina has been named to Super Doctors 2013 New York Rising Stars list. His research interest includes epidemiology of headache /chronic pain, quantitative sensory testing and human pain models.
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Beth Israel Medical Center - Petrie Division
- Beth Israel Medical Group
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Education and training
- Medical School - Københavns Universitet Det Sundhedsvidenskabelige og Medicinsk Fakultet
- Montefiore Medical Center, Residency in Neurology
- Montefiore Medical Center, Fellowship in Headache and Facial Pain
- American Headache Society
- International Headache Society
Awards and publications
- Bezov D, Ashina S, Jensen R, Bendtesen L. Pain perception studies in tension-type headache. Headache. 2011 Feb;51(2):262-71.
- Bezov D, Ashina S, Lipton R. Post-Dural Puncture Headache: Part II - Prevention, Management, and Prognosis. Headache. 2010 Oct;50(9):1482-98.
- Bezov D, Lipton RB, Ashina S. Post Dural Puncture Headache: Part I - Diagnosis, Epidemiology, Etiology and Pathophysiology. Headache. 2010 Jul;50(7):1144-52.
Beth Israel Medical Group
10 Union Square E, Suite 2Q
New York, NY 10003