Dr. Chong-hao Zhao, MD, PhD
Pain Management Specialist
Chong-hao Zhao, MD, PhD, is a quadruple board certified neurologist. He has received subspecialty training in headache medicine and pain management from the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, which is consistently ranked among the top four best hospitals nationwide by U.S. News and Word Report magazine. He established the California Headache and Pain Center in Burbank, CA in 2004. The center relocated in 2014 to 420 West Las Tunas Dr, San Gabriel, CA 91776, in an over 7,300 sq. Spacious newly remodeled medical building, right next to San Gabriel Valley Medical Center. Dr. Zhao has a special interest in treating intractable headaches and pain. Dr. Zhao practices both Western and Eastern medicine in order to reduce headaches and pain, applying the holistic treatment concept. He introduced an innovative headache relief method to the medical community using a combination of complex intravenous infusion, spinal intervention, botulinum toxin injections, psychotherapy, biofeedback and acupuncture. This combination of therapy detoxifies the chemicals acquired from overused medications, blocks the pain transmission from the irritated anatomical structures, and trains the brain to understand that pain no longer exists; thereby providing lasting relief from headaches. In addition, he is an interventional pain specialist, treating chronic neck and low back pain. He has received pain diagnosis and treatment skills training in the fields of neurology, anesthesiology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and acupuncture. Dr. Zhao has a number of publications in headache, pain, and acupuncture. He speaks nationally on the topics of headache and pain, and is a lecturer of the Graduate Orofacial Pain Program at UCLA.
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Pain Management Specialist
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center
- San Gabriel Valley Medical Center
- American Board of Pain Medicine
- American Board of Medical Acupuncture
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Education and training
- Medical School - Guangzhou Medical University
- Kaiser Permanente, Los Angeles Medical Center, Residency in Neurology
- Cleveland Clinic, Fellowship in Headache Medicine
- Cleveland Clinic (Anesthesia Pain Management)
- Virginia Commonwealth University (PhD)
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- American Headache Society
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties, Headache Medicine
Awards and publications
- Award: In recognition of outstanding contribution to the clinical education program here at UCLA, School of Dentistry at UCLA, June 1,2006.
- Publication: Zhao C, Stillman MJ, Rozen TD. Acupuncture in headache treatment (9th updated version). Medlink Neurology Online. August, 2013.
- Publication: Zhao C, Stillman MJ. Atrophy of Corrugator Supercilii Muscle in a Patient Induced by the Onabotulinum Toxin Injection. Headache 2012; 52:309-311.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Chinese (Cantonese)
California Headache and Pain Center
420 West Las Tunas Drive
San Gabriel, CA 91776