Dr. Jack Cossman, MD
Dr. Cossman is a dermatologist who practices medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology. As a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, Dr. Cossman loves all aspects of the specialty and welcomes patients of all ages and genders. Originally from the Philadelphia area, he spent over a decade in New England for his education and training. He attended both college and medical school at Brown University. Among all clinical experiences, dermatology was a perfect fit: combining many aspects of medicine and surgery, it also fulfilled his lifelong interests in the natural and physical sciences, aesthetics, and human diversity. After medical school, he completed his internship at Yale New Haven Hospital, and then returned to Providence for his dermatology residency at Roger Williams Medical Center. Starting in medical school and continuing through residency, he undertook various research projects and earned several awards. He also completed preceptorships in cosmetic and pediatric dermatology in Los Angeles and New York. As chief in his final year of residency, Dr. Cossman taught and trained junior residents and medical students. Passionate for dermatology and desiring to continue teaching, he is proudly on staff at New York University’s Department of Dermatology, where he teaches residents weekly. Beyond enjoying living in New York, Dr. Cossman ever endeavors to see and experience our amazing world. He has been to 34 countries and 40 states and is on a quest to visit them all. Enjoying camping and hiking, he is also aspiring to see all the National Parks, having visited 30 so far. Big Bend National Park in Texas is his favorite, although Great Sand Dunes in Colorado was spectacular, too.
- American Republic Insurance Company
- Anthem Blue Cross
- NYU Langone Health
Education and training
- Medical School - Brown University, Doctor of Medicine
- Boston University, Roger Williams Medical Center, Residency in Dermatology
- Yale University, Yale-New Haven Hospital (Internship)
Awards and publications
- Cossman JP, Wang M, Fischer AA. Supervision, Autonomy, and Medical Error in the Teaching Clinic. Journal of the American Academy of Dermaology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2017.12.033.
- Cossman JP, Fournier J. Frequency of Syphilis Diagnoses by Dermatologists. JAMA Dermatology. 2017;153(7):718-719. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2017.0460
- Lefkowitz E, Cossman J, Fournier J. A case report of Cushing’s Disease presenting as hair loss. Case Reports in Dermatology. 2017 Feb 21;9(1):45-50.
Upper West Side Dermatology
277 West End Avenue, Suite 1B
New York, NY 10023