About John Menaker
Dr. Menaker is a clinical psychologist in private practice with offices in Manhattan and Brooklyn. He has worked in a range of clinical settings in the NY area for the last 14 years developing a body of experience that includes work with clients who suffer with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Chronic Pain, Addictive Disorders, Adult forms of ADHD, Grief, Depression, and Relational Difficulties among other things. He tends to practice using an interpersonal psychodynamic treatment model and when necessary employing short-term, more directed or symptom focused CBT based treatments. Dr. Menaker was born and raised in suburban New York, attended the Claremont Colleges in southern California and received his Ph.D. in clinical psychology at Adelphi University, NY. He has had the opportunity to live and work in various cultures and has been able to incorporate this range of experience in his approach to understanding human experience and the process of change. He has engaged in mental health outreach in various communities, working with emotionally disturbed children in residential treatment, assisting in community mental health programs in day treatment settings and providing low cost treatment through college and community counseling centers to students and clients in need. Dr. Menaker is an avid outdoors enthusiast, which has contributed to his awareness of the complex connection between psychological health and physical well-being.
Education and training
- Adelphi University, PhD in Psychology
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital / Columbia University Medical Center, Internship in Psychology
- Village Counseling and Assessment Center (Externship)
- Pitzer College (Bachelor’s)
- Society for Psychotherapy Research
Awards and publications
- Honors Thesis, Pitzer College - Claremont, CA
- • Hilsenroth, M.J., Menaker, J., Peters, E.J., & Pincus, A.J., (2007). Assessment of borderline pathology using the inventory of interpersonal problems circumplex scales (IIP-C): A comparison of clinical samples. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 365-376, 14
John Menaker's office locations
80 8th Ave, Suite 1108
New York, NY 10011
26 Court St, Suite 1911
Brooklyn, NY 11242
Patient reviews for John Menaker, PhD
Dr. Menaker is the man. He is incredibly empathetic and listens in a way that helps me constantly reflect on myself. I always am excited for our sessions and always leave feeling rejuvenated and hopeful for what lies ahead.
He is great. His level of compassion and professionalism is exactly what I needed. I am looking forward to my healing journey with him.
I left optimistic which says a lot.
Great listener. Very supportive. Very flexable and helpful in schefuling sessions.
Dr. Menaker is awesome he listens and does a great job at helping you truly understand what your feeling. Awesome session
Dr. John had a great manner and was very well structured in his responses and where he led the discussion. I was surprised and pleased at the levels of detail for a first session and he was very polite to draw any possible boundaries. I would recommend Dr. John to anyone seeking therapy to at least try his style.
Dr. Menaker was uniquely insightful. I've had experience with other therapists who seemed to just let me ramble and go nowhere, but Dr. M demonstrated understanding and empathy that I found immediately helpful. I will definitely be back!
I've been looking for a new therapist since I moved here and have gone through several, not being able to find one I liked. I met with John and immediately felt comfortable in his office. We talked, and he pinpointed exactly what I needed to talk about. He's a great listener and really knows his stuff.
Best therapist I have seen in a long time, would highly reccomend
Dr. Menaker is just wonderful. There's no other way to put it. I would highly recommend him as a therapist.
Made me feel comfortable right off the bat. Insightful and smart. Will be going back for more sessions
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Pre-Move In Couples Counseling
- Academic Psychology Testing
- Addiction / Substance Abuse
- Adolescent / Teen Issues
- Analytical Therapy / Psychoanalysis
- Anger Management
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Behavioral Therapy
- Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Cognitive Therapy
- Couples Conflict Resolution
- More Procedures
- Aetna Psychologists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychologists
- Cigna Psychologists
- UnitedHealthcare Psychologists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychologists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Psychologists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Psychologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Psychologists
- More Insurances