Dr. Michael Piesman, MD
After a distinguished military career, Dr. Piesman chose to join the physicians at Gastroenterology Consultants in February of 2014. A former Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army, he received various awards and commendations during his 15 years of service to the United States. He most recently served as Chief of Clinical Services and Endoscopy at Brooke Army Medical Center, one of the largest gastroenterology fellowship training centers in the country. Dr. Piesman plans to stay in the Army Reserves to continue to support the United States Armed Forces. Dr. Piesman was born in Moscow, Russia, immigrated to the US in 1981, and grew up in Los Angeles, CA. After earning his medical degree from Tufts University in Boston, he served as a physician in the U.S. Army in an effort to repay the country that allowed his family safe exit from Russia. Dr. Piesman excels in all areas of GI and has specialized training in therapeutic endoscopy with special interests in biliary, pancreatic, and esophageal disorders. As a Harvard trained endoscopist, Dr. Piesman helps Gastroenterology Consultants establish the largest and most comprehensive advanced endoscopy service in South Texas. He looks forward to building lasting relationships with patients in the private practice setting where he can diagnose their difficult ailments and discuss their life goals and wishes. Dr Piesman is an avid runner, having competed in several marathons and triathlons. In his spare time, he enjoys bike riding, reading and traveling with his wife, Elizabeth and their three young sons, Samuel, Tyler and Matthew.
Is this doctor in your insurance network?
- Northeast Baptist Hospital
- Northeast Methodist Hospital
- Gastroenterology (Internal Medicine)
Education and training
- Madigan Army Medical Center, Residency in Internal Medicine
- Medical School - Tufts University, Doctor of Medicine
- University of California, Los Angeles (Bachelor’s)
Awards and publications
- William Beaumont GI Society Master Endoscopy Award - 2010 Semifinalist, The Bailey K. Ashford Research Symposium, Washington, DC - 2006 Inflammatory Bowel Disease Mentoring Program - 2005 Army Accommodation Medal, Camp Humphreys, Korea - 2000 Magna Cum Laude, UCLA - 1994
Gastroenterology Consultants of San Antonio
12850 Toepperwein Road
Live Oak, TX 78233