About Dr. Ming Tsang
My desire to become a physician began at a very early age when I was still living in China. My mother was working in a hospital; she would take me to work with her and the hospital became my playground. I saw so many patients suffering from pains and injuries and these experiences had a profound effect on me: I wished that someday I, too, would be able to help the sick and injured. After I graduated from Jinan University Medical College, Guangzhou, China, I obtained a masters degree in Medical Sciences at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. I then spent 4 years in New York City working as a research fellow at two prestigious medical institutions: The Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center and The Rockefeller University’s Department of Cellular Physiology and Immunology. My main focus was in virology and immunology related to HIV research and, as a result, I published many research papers. I next began a family medicine residency program at the Aultman Hospital, Canton, Ohio, where I gained great experience with patients. My experiences caring for patients and helping them toward recoveries reinforced my desire to dedicate my life to work as a physician. Since then I’ve been practicing medicine in San Francisco. I continue to treat seriously ill patients at Saint Francis Hospital. I am fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin, and I do home visits and house calls to elderly Chinese patients whose physical and language barriers often prevent them from seeking necessary medical care. I established my own practice so that I can spend more quality time with my patients, and can focus more on disease prevention. My extensive knowledge in the area of HIV research helps me greatly in my treatment of HIV infected patients. The more I practice medicine the more I realize that a good physician not only must gain clinical knowledge and master technical skills, he also must listen intently to his patients’ needs and engage them in the medical decision-making process. He must travel their life journey with them. To do this he must be nonjudgmental, respectful and empathetic to what his patients are going through. I believe the true art of medicine requires the healing of not just patients’ physical wellbeing, but their souls as well. The child whose playground was a hospital has grown up to find his calling: to be a physician dedicated to alleviating others’ suffering.
- American Republic Insurance Company
- Family Physician
- Primary Care Doctor
- American Board of Family Medicine
Education and training
- Medical School - Jinan University School of Medicine
- Aultman Hospital (Residency)
Awards and publications
- In a few years time, Dr. Tsang and his colleagues published many research papers in well-known respected medical journals. These are the articles that have been published. Cytolytic T lymphocytes from HLA-B8+ donors frequently recognize the Hodgkin's lymphoma associated latent membrane protein 2 of Epstein Barr virus. Tsang ML, Münz C. Herpesviridae. 2011 Feb 11;2(1):4. PMID: 21429247 [PubMed] Free PMC Article Related citations Dendritic cells initiate immune control of epstein-barr virus transformation of B lymphocytes in vitro. Bickham K, Goodman K, Paludan C, Nikiforow S, Tsang ML, Steinman RM, Münz C. J Exp Med. 2003 Dec 1;198(11):1653-63. PMID: 14657218 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article Related citations Human dendritic cells activate resting natural killer (NK) cells and are recognized via the NKp30 receptor by activated NK cells. Ferlazzo G, Tsang ML, Moretta L, Melioli G, Steinman RM, Münz C. J Exp Med. 2002 Feb 4;195(3):343-51. PMID: 11828009 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article Related citations Dendritic cells cross-present latency gene products from Epstein-Barr virus-transformed B cells and expand tumor-reactive CD8(+) killer T cells. Subklewe M, Paludan C, Tsang ML, Mahnke K, Steinman RM, Münz C. J Exp Med. 2001 Feb 5;193(3):405-11. PMID: 11157061 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article Related citations EBNA1-specific CD4+ T cells in healthy carriers of Epstein-Barr virus are primarily Th1 in function. Bickham K, Münz C, Tsang ML, Larsson M, Fonteneau JF, Bhardwaj N, Steinman R. J Clin Invest. 2001 Jan;107(1):121-30. PMID: 11134187 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article Related citations Human CD4(+) T lymphocytes consistently respond to the latent Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen EBNA1. Münz C, Bickham KL, Subklewe M, Tsang ML, Chahroudi A, Kurilla MG, Zhang D, O'Donnell M, Steinman RM. J Exp Med. 2000 May 15;191(10):1649-60. PMID: 10811859 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article Related citations Zidovudine in the management of primary HIV-1 infection. Tindall B, Gaines H, Imrie A, von Sydow MA, Evans L, Strannegard O, Tsang ML, Lindback S, Cooper DA. AIDS. 1991 May;5(5):477-84. PMID: 1907459 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Related citations Characterization of the V3 region of HIV-1 isolates from Sydney, Australia. Distler O, McQueen PW, Tsang ML, Byrne C, Neilan BA, Evans L, Penny R, Cooper DA, Delaney SF. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1995 Mar;11(3):423-5. No abstract available. PMID: 7786588 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Related citations Neutralizing antibodies against sequential autologous human immunodeficiency virus type 1 isolates after seroconversion. Tsang ML, Evans LA, McQueen P, Hurren L, Byrne C, Penny R, Tindall B, Cooper DA. J Infect Dis. 1994 Nov;170(5):1141-7. PMID: 7963706 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Related citations Primary structure of the V3 region of gp120 from sequential human immunodeficiency virus type 1 isolates obtained from patients from the time of seroconversion. Distler O, McQueen PW, Tsang ML, Evans LA, Hurren L, Byrne C, Penny R, Cooper DA, Delaney SF. J Infect Dis. 1995 Nov;172(5):1384-7. PMID: 7594684 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Related citations
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Chinese (Cantonese)
Dr. Ming Tsang's office location
Ming Tsang, M.D.
909 Hyde St., Suite 432
San Francisco, CA 94109
Patient reviews for Dr. Ming Tsang
Absolutely wonderful experience!
Very calm and welcoming atmosphere.
Super nice guy very thorough and seemed to really care about my well-being
Dr. Was so nice. Could see I was not feeling well and really took the time to talk to me about my symptoms and overall heath. Someone who is passionate about his job and helping others. Very nice and knowledgeable man. Would see again
Doctor is inherently disorganized. Even with his youth squad. Beware the Zoc Doc rating system. Read their Reviews FAQ with care.
Just love Dr M Tsang. Always helpful and so nice. Pleasure to see him even though I feel sick!
When I arrived Dr. Tsang saw me briefly, but then passed me along to one of his associates.I got the sense that they were eager to get me in and then out of the office as quickly as possible.
I loved the whole experience, he is highly knowledgeable doctor, he wouldn't make you do unnecessary test or give you unnecessary meds. Gave some good advice, heard my problems very carefully. I highly recommend him who really wants the right diagnosis and no beat around the bush business!
Doctor Tsang is always great with his patients!
He is my favorite doctor! Friendly, knowledgeable, and trustworthy. I will miss him when I move away.
Dr. Tsang was very thorough in his evaluation and his explanations.
Very nice, got in quickly, easy to work with! Will definitely go back!
Really helpful, heard and addressed all my concerns and prescribed me the right meds
Best doctor I probably will ever have.
Great as usual. Dr. Tsang is efficient and really cares about my health and wellness.
Doctor Tsang is always great!
Very thorough, and he took his time to run through the health plan he set for me.
Great doctor. Always helpful and kind.
Very professional, efficient, and effective. I came in for a general consultation and left with all of my concerns addressed quickly. No complaints here!
Dr. Tsang is the best! He has great bedside manner, is kind and personable, and makes each visit quick, but not rushed.
Dr. Tsang was very professional, knowledgeable, and patient with me. I liked how he explained everything in details to me and making sure that I understood. However, the front desk administrator was SUPER rude and unprofessional. I asked questions related to my lab test and she simply answered “ I don’t know, why would I know!” That made me consider if I should switch my family doctor since I don’t want to have an administrator so unprofessional to handle my documents and other things that are relative to my health care.
Dr. Tsang is smart, efficient, and kind - I highly recommend.
Always the best service
Dr Ming Tsang is great! He also has wonderful recommendations for Specialists.
Overall a wonderful experience. Dr. Tsang is extremely warm, knowledgable, and kind.
My appointments with Dr. Tsang are always pleasant and to the point. He makes it extremely easy to schedule appointments, with availability after 5:00 pm on most days and the option to do video-chat visits to help accommodate those of us that work 9-5 jobs. Overall, great and would recommend him to anyone looking for a new PCP.
He was great! Very nice, professional, comprehensive and helpful.
It was great
Dr. Ming Tsang is very concerned about a patient's lifestyle, if you are having balanced meals, enough sleep and a proper exercise routine. He is very interested in getting to know you and getting a good picture of your overall health.
I love Dr Tsang. He truly loves what he does and helping people. I feel very fortunate to have him as my primary care doctor.
I was a new patient and Dr. Tsang saw me quickly as soon as I finished my paperwork. He is efficient, knowledge, and comprehensive. I felt I could ask questions. It was fast, but not rushed. He seemed willing and interested to spend more time on specific health issues I'm worried about.
Great doc, warm, friendly and helpful!
Dr. Ming Tsang was awesome. I had an early appointment at 9AM, and he wasted no time seeing me. He’s very, very thorough and really takes the time to assess your illnesses/ailments. I was a new patient with little remembrance of my vaccination history, and Dr. Ming Tsang was able to offer me assistance and great recommendations on what I should have up to date and when exactly I should have them done. I appreciate how careful he is with patients and how he addresses each situation. He’s helpful, kind, and extremely supportive! I highly recommend him to everyone reading this review!
Nice doctor friendly !
Great! Highly recommended
Dr. Tsang is really courteous. He answers all questions patiently and doesn't rush things at all. His answers are clear and informative. Staff is welcoming and helpful.
He explains things clearly. He is patience.
Overall it was great
Dr. Tsang is ultimately the very best Physician I've ever been treated by. He is right on the mark with diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. He takes care of many of my CO's during encounter. I always feel well cared for, better, and happy when I see him. If only he could be cloned :)!!!
Quick and efficient annual visit. Got flu shot too.
Hip doctor!! Spends extra time to answer my questions and help me understand more about the condition.
Dr.Tsang was very friendly and really nice. I feel comfortable talking to him.
Ming had great bedside manner. Not judgmental. Very perceptive - asked great questions.
Dr. Tsang is wonderful and I’m glad to have found such an honest, caring doctor. Been seeing him for over 4 years now. He’s great!
Did some routine checkups. He made me comfortable and it was an efficient visit.
Glad I got to meet my primary doctor, Dr. Ming Tsang. He was welcoming, asked the right questions, and made sure that we established a good rapport before I left the office. I feel secure knowing I'm in Dr. Tsang's care.
1 of the Best Doctors in the world.
Very good experience. Doctor's office was professional and efficient at getting through all the paperwork usually involved on first visits, as well as diagnosis and recommending a treatment. All my options were well explained to me, as well as potential follow up steps.
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Gastroenterology Consultation
- OB-GYN Consultation
- OB-GYN Follow Up
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux / Heartburn
- Annual Check Up
- Annual Pap Smear / GYN Exam
- Annual Pediatric Checkup
- Annual Physical
- Arm Problem(s)
- Back Problems
- Bedwetting / Enuresis
- More Procedures