Dr. Richard Brent, MD
Recently awarded Top Psychiatrist in New York for 2013-2014 by the Leading Physicians of the world, Dr. Richard Brent has over 29 years of experience in having excellent results while working with patients who have had some of the most challenging of problems. While past results obviously cannot be assurances, Dr. Brent is adept at customizing and optimizing his approach for the specific needs of the individual. This is brought about by his applying the same level of education and expertise that he brings to the prescribing of medication to choosing and personally providing the most effective form of psychotherapy for the problem and for the patient. Because of the critical importance of providing the best possible psychotherapy, Dr. Brent has made this an area of special interest and study. He has had many years of specialized training and experience in this area. Dr. Brent has developed a high level of expertise in the area of psychotherapy which is reflected in his clinical work. Dr. Brent currently teaches and supervises psychotherapy in several academic institutions. He holds the title of Assistant Clinical Professor at Weil Cornell, The New York Presbyterian Hospital and he is currently the director of supervision and student progression at The Psychotherapy Program of the New York Psychoanalytic Institute. Dr. Brent is also Board Certified in both Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis and has published several articles in the field. Dr. Brent’s expertise is quite diverse, whether the problem is related to stress reduction, couple or marital problems, LGBT issues, self-esteem problems or more serious problems like alcohol and drug abuse, ADHD, OCD, anxiety, depression or bipolar disorder, he gives the same care and attention to every individual he works with. ***Insurance Disclaimer*** I work as an out-of-network provider with successful reimbursement for most of my fees for most patients. I'll be glad to assist you in this process.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Psychiatry (Psychiatry and Neurology)
Education and training
- Medical School - Boston University, Doctor of Medicine
- Yale-New Haven Hospital (Internship)
- Yale University, Fellowship in Psychiatry
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical Center, Residency in Psychiatry
- New York Psychoanalytic Society and Institute (Bachelor’s)
- New York County Medical Society
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology
Awards and publications
- Brent, R., “Psychosocial Variables in Dementia and Pseudodementia,” American Journal of Psychiatry, 136:1613, 1979.
- Brent, R., and Flumm, G., “The Management of Idiopathic Chronic Pain: A Holistic Approach,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 26:429, 1981.
- Brent R., and Kalman T., “Flephenazine Resistant Psychosis,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 26:118, 1981.
- Brent, R. and Chodoff, C., “ECT as a Possible Treatment for SIADH: Case Report,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 43:73-4, 1982.
Richard H Brent, M.D.
30 East 95th Street
New York, NY 10128
Psychiatrists by Location
Popular Insurances Accepted By Psychiatrists
- Aetna Psychiatrists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- Cigna Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Psychiatrists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Psychiatrists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Psychiatrists
- More Insurances