Dr. Robert Purchase, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon, Sports Medicine Specialist, Shoulder Surgeon
My approach to patient care is rather simple, listen; engage; and educate. As a prior collegiate football player and life-long athlete, I understand the importance of getting people back to the activities they love. I am a board certified orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in surgery of the shoulder and knee & use minimally invasive techniques to treat rotator cuffs, meniscus tears, ACL injuries, & many more. I perform total joint replacements of the shoulder and knee including the less invasive partial replacements. The care of complex traumatic injuries, fractures & tendon ruptures, is a core part of my practice as well. If you want to wait forty minutes to spend five minutes with a doctor who doesn’t make eye contact or explain anything, there are many good options. If you want to be treated like an adult, become informed about your health, and participate in the process; then please make an appointment. This practice is in network with many insurance plans.
- Advocate Health Care
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Sports Medicine Specialist
- Shoulder Surgeon
- California Pacific Medical Center - Pacific Campus
- California Pacific Medical Center - California Campus
- California Pacific Medical Center - Davies Campus
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Education and training
- Medical School - Temple University, Doctor of Medicine
- Temple University Hospital, Residency in Orthopedics
- Saint Mary's Medical Center, Fellowship in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- San Francisco Medical Society
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Northern California Orthopaedic Society
Awards and publications
- Kelly J, Purchase RJ, Kam G. Alloprosthetic Composite Reconstruction Using the Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2009;10(1):5-10.
- Tham A, Purchase R, Kelly JD 4th. The Relation of the Coracoid Process to the Glenoid: An anatomic study. Arthroscopy. 2009;25(8):846-8.
- Purchase RJ, Wolf EM, Hobgood ER, Pollock ME, Smalley CC. Hill-Sachs “Remplissage”: An Arthroscopic Solution for the Engaging Hill-Sachs Lesion. Arthroscopy. 2008;24(6):723-6.
- Purchase R, Mason R, Hsu V, Rogers K, Gaughan J, Torg J. Fourteen Year Prospective Results of a High Density Polyethylene Prosthetic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2007;17(1):13-9.
- Valeriote J, Purchase RJ, Kelly JD. Simultaneous bilateral pectoralis major rupture. Am J Orthop. 2005;34(6):301-2.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
Robert Purchase MD
1199 Bush Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94109
Robert Purchase MD
599 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. #102
Greenbrae, CA 94904