About Dr. Sherwood Waldron
My hope and expectation is that my broad experience in helping individuals of all ages to find better ways to handle their feelings, relationships, and lives will help me to find a way to help you. Fully trained in child and adolescent psychiatry, it gives me particular pleasure to work as well with young people. I have spent many years studying what happens in therapy sessions and have become an internationally known expert on how, when, and whether patients benefit. I try to put that knowledge to use in every session. As a physician, I can evaluate whether medication may also be helpful in the short term while working together on problems that have contributed to your present unhappiness. My education followed by experience in child psychiatry and psychoanalysis has deepened my understanding of how meeting and talking can be helpful. We learn more from working with people than can ever be taught in a training program. And your feelings tend to be the best guide for us both. My clinical work has been evaluated by an international team of clinician-researchers at the top of the spectrum in terms of quality. I believe that our systematic studies have helped me to be more aware of how to be helpful. Medications may be helpful as well, although for many conditions, as a person makes changes to deal with problems in living the need for medications diminishes or disappears.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (Psychiatry and Neurology)
- Psychiatry (Psychiatry and Neurology)
Education and training
- Medical School - Yale University, Doctor of Medicine
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Jacobi Medical Center, Residency in Psychiatry
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Jacobi Medical Center, Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Psychoanalytic Association
- Center for Advanced Psychoanalytic Studies
Awards and publications
- Special Citation, presented May 22, 1975 by The New York Council on Child Psychiatry, "in recognition of his meritorious work in the field of child psychiatry."
- Awarded the Irma J. Bland award of the American Psychiatric Association for excellence in teaching psychiatric residents, May, 2005 (at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine).
- Waldron, S., Shrier, D.K., Stone, B. and Tobin, F. (1975): School Phobia and Other Childhood Neuroses: A systematic study of the children and their families. American Journal of Psychiatry l32: 802-808.
Dr. Sherwood Waldron's office location
Sherwood Waldron, MD
11 Riverside Dr, West Wing #2
New York, NY 10023
Patient reviews for Dr. Sherwood Waldron
Wonderful and personable doctor, also very experienced as I sensed right away. Doctor that truly cares. Somehow I knew it intuitively even before the appointment, and it turned out to be a very good experience. Doctor knew exactly what I was talking about. Definitely would recommend him to people that need therapy.
I've been a patient of Dr. Waldron for 30 years. Since adolescense - He is an acute listener and analyst of behavior and emotion.
I was very pleased with my visit. Dr. Waldron and I used my time wisely, and I was able to address and explore everything I'd hoped to going into our session.
Dr. Waldron is an extremely effective analyst. He calmed my anxiety and helped me figure out my self-sabotaging ways, and avoid them in the future.
Excellent... very helpful.
This doctor played a critical role in my happiness and in the decisions that led me to be successful. Absolutely brilliant.
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Psychiatry Consultation
- Psychiatry Follow Up
- Addiction Consultation
- Addiction Follow Up
- Addiction / Substance Abuse
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Analytical Therapy / Psychoanalysis
- Anger Management
- Art Therapy
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Behavioral Therapy
- Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Therapy
- More Procedures
- Aetna Psychiatrists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- Cigna Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Psychiatrists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Psychiatrists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Psychiatrists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Psychiatrists
- More Insurances