Dr. Irwin Gootnick, MD
Irwin Gootnick, M.D. is a psychiatrist with private practices in both Marin County and San Francisco. He is board-certified and has been in practice for over 40 years. Dr. Gootnick is also the author of two self-help books, Why You Behave in Ways You Hate & Self-Help for Smarties. Dr. Gootnick is an Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California in San Francisco and is a leading member of the San Francisco Psychotherapy Research Group. Dr. Gootnick has been featured on many radio and television shows, including: The Oprah Winfrey Show (where he was the sole guest for the hour) MSNBC ABC Voice of America Television Jersey's Talking A&E's Alternative Health and numerous other national TV and radio stations. Dr. Gootnick lives in Northern California with his wife, radiologist expert witness Susan Gootnick, MD.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Psychiatry (Psychiatry and Neurology)
Education and training
- Kaiser Permanente (Internship)
- Saint Mary's Medical Center, Residency in Psychiatry
- University of California San Francisco Medical Center at Mount Zion, Residency in Psychiatry
- Medical School - State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Doctor of Medicine
- Columbia University (Bachelor’s)
Awards and publications
- "The Psychiatric Day Center in the Treatment of The Chronic Schizophrenic,” The American Journal of Psychiatry 128:4, October 1971. "Transference issues in Psychotherapy with Schizophrenic Patients. Individual vs. Group Therapy,” International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, October 1975. "The Problem of Treating an Intensely Suffering Patient: To Gratify or Frustrate?” The Psychoanalytic Review, Vol. 69, No. 4, winter 1982 Why You Behave In Ways You Hate and What You Can Do About It. Penmarin Books, 1997 Self Help For Smarties, Success Secrets for: Weight Loss, Love and Sex, Career, Parenting 2006 Penmarin Books Roseville Ca
- 1980 Teacher of the Year University of California Medical Center, Langley Porter Neuro Psychiatric Institute, San Francisco, California 1983 Teacher of the Year University of California Medical Center, Langley Porter Neuro Psychiatric Institute San Francisco, California 1993 Teacher of the Year California Pacific Medical Center Department of Psychiatry, San Francisco, California 2004 Teacher of the Year California Pacific Medical Center Department of Psychiatry, San Francisco, California 2007 Teacher of the Year California Pacific Medical Center Department of Psychiatry, San Francisco, California 2011 San Francisco Psychotherapy Research Group Dinner Award for Outstanding Contribution to Control Mastery Theory
- Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, California
- Why YOU Behave In Ways You Hate
Irwin Gootnick, M.D.
4333 California St
San Francisco, CA 94118
Irwin Gootnick, M.D.
329 Goodhill Road
Kentfield, CA 94904