Dr. James Chen, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon, Sports Medicine Specialist
I strive to help patients return from injury or disability to an active lifestyle, specific sport, or hobby. I perform advanced and minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery of the knee, shoulder, elbow, hip, and ankle. I practice Sports Medicine and General Orthopaedic Surgery including fracture care, joint replacement (knee, shoulder, hip, elbow). My special interest in the knee is ACL reconstruction and meniscus surgery. My special interest in the shoulder is rotator cuff repair and shoulder stabilization. My job is to give the patient the best possible medical advice and to perform surgery when required to return them to optimal function. Our team works hard to provide each patient with the respect and attention that we would give to our own families.
Is this doctor in your insurance network?
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Sports Medicine Specialist
- California Pacific Medical Center - California Campus
- California Pacific Medical Center - Pacific Campus
- Saint Francis Memorial Hospital
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Education and training
- University of Hawai‘i, Residency in Orthopedic Surgery
- Swarthmore College (Bachelor's)
- University of California, Berkeley (Master's)
- Medical School - University of California, Davis, Doctor of Medicine
- University of California, San Francisco, Fellowship in Orthopedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Hawaii Orthopaedic Association
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Awards and publications
- Prayson MJ, Chen JL, Hampers D, Vogt M, Fenwick J, Meredick R. Baseline Compartment Pressure Measurements in Isolated Lower Extremity Fractures without Clinical Compartment Syndrome. Journal of Trauma. 2006;60(5):1037-1040.
- Chen JL, Eno JJ, Mitsunaga MM. Short Same-Segment Fixation of Thoracolumbar Burst Fractures. Hawaii J Med Public Health.. 2012
- Szabo RM, Anderson KA, Chen JL. Functional Outcome of En bloc Excision and Osteo-articular Allograft Replacement with the Sauve-Kapandji procedure for Campanacci Grade 3 Giant Cell Tumor of Distal Radius. The Journal of Hand Surgery. 2006;31A:1340-1348.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
450 Sutter Street, Suite 400
San Francisco, CA 94108