About Dr. Peter McCann
Peter D. McCann, M.D. specializes in shoulder and elbow conditions and has practiced orthopedic surgery for over 30 years. He is Director of Orthopedic Surgery and Director of Orthopedic Strategic Initiatives at Lenox Health Greenwich Village and holds the academic title of Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Dr. McCann is board certified and trained under the leadership of Charles S. Neer II, MD, widely considered the father of modern shoulder surgery. He is a member of American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, the premier international professional society dedicated to the study and treatment of shoulder and elbow problems, as well as Emeritus Editor in Chief of The American Journal of Orthopedic Surgery. He is also a member of the American Orthopedic Association, the oldest professional organization dedicated to leadership and education in orthopedic surgery, and is a widely published educator with over 200 presentation and papers. Dr. McCann has been sided as a high-quality physician in the annual New York Magazine Best Doctors list for many years and was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the New York Chapter of the Arthritis Foundation in 2011. Dr. McCann's childhood interest in sports made orthopedic surgery a natural fit in his pursuit of career in medicine. As a former competitive swimmer, Jones Beach lifeguard, lacrosse and tennis player, he understands an athlete's need to remain fit and heal when injured. As a pianist, guitarist, and organist he also appreciates the physical demands that musicians place on the upper extremity. Dr. McCann places the highest priority on providing comprehensive and zed personalized service to his patients.
- Affinity Health Plan
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Shoulder Surgeon
- Lenox Hill Hospital
- The Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Education and training
- Medical School - Columbia University, Doctor of Medicine
- Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, Residency in Orthopedic Surgery
- Saint Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, Residency in General Surgery
- Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, Fellowship in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- American Shoulder And Elbow Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
Awards and publications
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Arthritis Foundation 2011
- NY Magazine Best Doctors
- Emeritus Editor-in-Chief, American Journal of Orthopedics
- Director, Orthoepdic Surgery, Lenox Health Greenwich Village
- Professor, Orthoepdic Surgery , Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Dr. Peter McCann's office location
Northwell Orthopedic Institute
200 W 13th Street
New York, NY 10011
Patient reviews for Dr. Peter McCann
Great to be seen by such an accomplished doctor and surgeon.
Office was clean and staff was courteous. Doctor was very knowledgeable and made me feel at ease.
The staff was great but the doctor got offended when I said I needed an MRI and denied to give it to me and said we have to wait 6 weeks to get it. I didn’t want to wait 6 weeks to know what exactly was wrong with my shoulder. Just by physically examining my shoulder he told the reason why. I need the MRI as soon as possible
Very knowledgeable doctor. Also very polite. Highly recommend him!
Very professional & spent time on the intake.
Good visit. Unfortunately, I was advised that I need a different type of specialist; therefore, I still don't know what is wrong. Frustrating!
He's very knowledgeable. I
Extremely professional and friendly.
True professional. Conservative approach.
I have bee seeing dr McCann for 6 years now all I could say he’s the best at what he does I would recommend him to anyone
It’s was great. The staff is amazing and we felt we were in good hands.
He was friendly and professional. He was very down to earth and explained things clearly.
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Orthopedic Consultation
- Orthopedic Follow Up
- Bone Density Measurement / DXA Scan
- Achilles Tendon Rupture
- Ankle Problems
- Anterior Cruciate Insufficiency
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury
- Back Problems
- Brittle Bones / Osteogenesis Imperfecta
- Broken Ribs
- More Procedures
- Aetna Orthopedic Surgeons
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Orthopedic Surgeons
- Cigna Orthopedic Surgeons
- UnitedHealthcare Orthopedic Surgeons
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Orthopedic Surgeons
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Orthopedic Surgeons
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Orthopedic Surgeons
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Orthopedic Surgeons
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Orthopedic Surgeons
- More Insurances