Dr. Joseph Hsu, MD
Refractive Surgeon, Ophthalmologist, Cornea & External Diseases Specialist
Dr. Hsu accepts all PPO’s, most vision plans, Medicare, Medi-Medi, and HMO’s with an authorization. Dr. Hsu is an astute and innovative clinician, surgeon, and researcher. He matriculated at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he conducted extensive research at MIT and at Harvard in recombinant DNA biotechnology and graduated with a B.S. in Chemical Engineering. After graduation, he worked for Biogen, Inc., where he continued his research on Interferon for the treatment of cancer. He later received his M.D. from Georgetown Medical School, completed his internship at Northwestern University and finished his ophthalmology residency at University Texas Southwestern. Dr. Hsu has complete three fellowships, one at John Hopkins/Wilmer Eye Institute, in ophthalmic pathology, and at the Doheny Eye Institute at the University of Southern California under Peter McDonnell, in cornea, external eye diseases and refractive laser surgery. He has many publications in peer review journals, has been a principal investigator and co-investigator in eye research, has received research grants from the National Eye Institute, and given talks nationally. He is an assistant clinical professor at the University of Southern California. Dr. Hsu has treated thousands of patients with diabetic eye diseases, glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts, and LASIK. He has the latest technology to treat his patients. He has performed thousands of surgeries including cataract surgery with premium and toric lenses, glaucoma laser and surgeries, diabetic lasers, and cornea transplants. He is the only fellowship trained LASIK surgeon in the Downey area and has performed LASIK on many of the local doctors. As a Cornea Specialist, he is one of the first eye surgeons to use Amniograft transplant for ocular surface reconstruction in the United States over 12 years ago. Since, he has improved on the technique to reduce the recurrence of pterygium. Dr. Hsu is also highly skilled in performing Canaloplasty, an advanced, effective surgery featured on national news recently, as a surgical break through that can reduce or eliminate the need for glaucoma drops in patients with open angle glaucoma. It is covered by most insurances including Medicare. He currently performs more Canaloplasties monthly than any other surgeon in California and perhaps in the entire country. He has been asked to lecture and teach other eye surgeons on the technique. Dr. Hsu also performs iStent, a drain that can be placed in the eye at the time of cataract surgery. iStent is effective in treating early glaucoma.
Is this doctor in your insurance network?
- Cornea & External Diseases Specialist
- Refractive Surgeon
- Downey Regional Medical Center
- Saint Francis Medical Center
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Education and training
- University of Southern California, Doheny Eye Institute, Fellowship in Cornea and Refractive Surgery
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Bachelor's)
- Johns Hopkins University, Wilmer Eye Institute, Fellowship in Ophthalmic Pathology
- University of Texas, Southwestern, Residency in Ophthalmology
- Northwestern University, Internship in Internal Medicine
- Medical School - Georgetown University, Doctor of Medicine
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- USC Alumni Association
Awards and publications
- Oct, 1994 CASTROVIEJO CORNEAL SOCIETY, presented as a paper in San Francisco, CA. Clinicohistopathologic Correlation of Elastofibroma Oculi.
- April, 1996 ARVO POSTER, presented in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. An Unusual Case of Elastofibroma Oculi.
- June, 1998 ALUMNI DAY PROJECT, presented as a paper in Dallas, TX. The Spatial organization of apical junctional complex (ajc)-associated proteins in normal feline and human corneal endothelium and the effect of corneal storage on the ajc.
Joseph KW Hsu, M.D.
8333 Iowa Street, Suite 202
Downey, CA 90241