Dr. John Pilavas, MD
Refractive Surgeon, Ophthalmologist, Cornea & External Diseases Specialist
About Dr. John Pilavas
Dr. John Pilavas is a Board Certified Ophthalmologist in Astoria, New York. He received his medical degree from The University of Louisville School of Medicine. He completed an Internal Medicine Internship at Lenox Hill Hospital-Manhattan Eye Ear Throat (MEETH) and served as Chief Resident at Nassau University Medical Center-SUNY Stony Brook. He then completed a fellowship in Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery at Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island under the auspices of Eric Donnenfeld, M.D. and Henry Perry, M.D. Dr. Pilavas serves as a voluntary attending, teaching Cornea/External Disease to the residents at Nassau University Medical Center. He recently joined his father, Anthony Pilavas, MD-a comprehensive Ophthalmologist who has served the New York City community for over 30 years. Dr. Pilavas specializes in the medical and surgical management of disorders such Keratoconus, Fuch’s Dystrophy, Bullous Keratopathy, Dry Eye Disease and Cataract. He performs full thickness (PK) and partial thickness (DSAEK) corneal transplantations. He is certified to perform LASIK and PRK using both the VISX® and Wavelight® excimer laser platforms. He is also certified to perform Femtosecond Laser Assisted Cataract Surgery using the CATALYS® platform and ranked in the top 1% of his peers for surgical volume using this technology in 2014 and 2015. Dr. Pilavas’s unique background in Laser Vision Correction and Customized Intraocular implants allows him to work with his patients to lessen or sometimes totally eliminate their dependence on eyeglasses. Dr. Pilavas has authored multiple peer-reviewed publications and regularly presents his research at national conferences throughout the country. He has also served as Sub-Investigator for several nationwide FDA trials.
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Cornea & External Diseases Specialist
- Refractive Surgeon
- The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
- The Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Education and training
- Medical School - University of Louisville, Doctor of Medicine
- Lenox Hill Hospital, Internship in Internal Medicine
- Nassau University Medical Center, Residency in Ophthalmology
- Georgetown University (Bachelor’s)
- Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island, Fellowship in Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery
- Georgetown University (Bachelor's)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
Awards and publications
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer: addressing the controversies. Chagpar A B., Pilavas J., Chao C., Martin II R.C.G., McMasters K.M., Cancer Therapy 2003; 1:223-230.
- Sentinel Node Positivity Rates With and Without Frozen Section for Breast Cancer, Nimmi A., Martins D., Huston TL, Christos P., Syed H., Osborne M., Swistel A., Tousimis E., Pressman P., Simmons RM., Ann Surg Oncol. 2008; 15: 256-261.
- Local and Distant Recurrence Rates in Skin-Sparing Mastectomies Compared with Non-Skin-Sparing Mastectomies. Huston TL, Pilavas J., Martins D., Christos P., Lonier J., Simmons RM., Presented as an Abstract at the Society of Surgical Oncology (Atlanta, GA), March 2005.
Dr. John Pilavas's office location
John Pilavas, M.D.
2509 31st Ave.
Astoria, NY 11106
Patient reviews for Dr. John Pilavas
Ophthalmologists by Location
Popular Insurances Accepted By Ophthalmologists
- Aetna Ophthalmologists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Ophthalmologists
- Cigna Ophthalmologists
- UnitedHealthcare Ophthalmologists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Ophthalmologists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Ophthalmologists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Ophthalmologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Ophthalmologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Ophthalmologists
- More Insurances